Re: Which normal form is this violating?

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 6 May 2002 09:40:01 -0700

>> People seem to leave more stuff out of their Usenet posts than
their specs, so I figured it was at least equally reasonable to assume a FK existed. <<

Probably is as reasonable; but I like making people think before they post. Spelling is another matter ...

>> However, the PK-FK approach supports easier modification of the
domain, via INSERT and DELETE statements. <<

Hopefully, domains are not constantly changing.

Right now the CREATE/DROP/ALTER DOMAIN statements in Standard SQL are basically in-line shorthands for column declarations. It is better than nothing, but not wht it could be. The SQL-99 User Defined Types are closer to a real domain concept.

My rule of thumb is use CHECK() for small and/or constant domains (sex, state codes, etc.) and the PK-FK references for large and/or varying domains (stock market symbols). Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 11:40:01 CDT