Re: Kit (and caboodle)

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 15:36:43 GMT

Stephen Roach wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've finally bitten the bullet and started on the OCP DBA track. Problem is, I
> usually don't have the level of access to all that shiny kit and software that
> can be used for practice & experimentation in the orofice (bloody DBAs and their
> 'security concerns', it wasn't me I tell ya).
>
> Anyhoo, can anyone recommend a home config that's not going to cost an arm and a
> leg. I'm looking for a low end unix box, possibly with a baby RAID setup and the
> multi-user software I can use to practice my new Fascist^H^H^H^H^H^H^HDBA skills
> and play around with different configurations. My main work is in the data
> warehousing area and I want to study ETL & multi-dimensional setups but I don't
> need the terabyte grunt that goes along with it.
>
> I'm in Australia so most stuff should be available here. Except, of course, it's
> upside-down.
>
> I really think that DBAs are nice people. Really.
>
> TIA
>
> Steve
>
> Steve Roach: Remove NOSPAM from address to reply:
> steve_roach_at_NOSPAMattglobal.net
> steve_roach_at_NOSPAMhotmail.com
> ICQ: 19755011
Software is far more of a problem than hardware. You can get a Sun Ultra 5 off eBay for about $500 with a couple of drives. Adding more won't put you into bankruptcy. Even the Oracle software can be managed inexpensively by going to http://store.oracle.com where %39.95 US will get you everything you will need. But if you want to get into RAID and disk striping with Veritas or something like that it gets a bit harder to do on the cheap. Maybe someone else has found it in demo form but I have so far not been successful in that regard.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 10:36:43 CDT