Re: How to delay the execution of an SQL statement?

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_alltel.com>
Date: 5 May 2002 16:52:59 -0700

"FC" <flavio_at_tin.it> wrote in message news:<T5vA8.93376$vF6.2796869_at_news2.tin.it>...
> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > FC wrote:
> >
> > > "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

> reasons

[snip]

> > > Well,
> > > I have a similar question, I'd like to make a stored procedure enter
> into a
> > > "stand-by" state without consuming too much CPU time.
> > > Say for instance I am looping waiting for a user triggered event, how
> can I
> > > doze for half a second and then wake up again ?
> >
> > What are you going to do if the triggering event never happens?
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
> >

> Well, this is required only for running a test and simulate some things
> going on in a production plant, in the "real" world, there won't be any
> trace of it...
>
> Cheers,
> Flavio

Flavio,

So your example is a test environment. That could be helpful. But I'm still wondering what are the uses for the Sleep function in a production database stored procedure? Don't everybody jump in at once.

 (BTW Dan I liked your example.) Waiting for input is not really a good example. (In general polling is a poor way to handle input.)

Anyone, anyone...

Ed Received on Sun May 05 2002 - 18:52:59 CDT