Re: Fifty years' experience in C programming; 20 in VB...

From: Daniel A. Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 16:41:11 +0100

Larry Linson wrote:

> Don't be silly. One of the best programmers I ever knew had a degree in
> Music, another had a degree in Animal Husbandry, and I have known many, many
> other competent and capable people who had no degree at all. One degree-less
> colleague held his own in the Research Division of a major computing
> company.
>
> In fact, quite a few years ago, we cringed whenever a new-hire had a
> Computer Science degree, because the probability was high that he/she would
> expect to be assigned to write The Compiler That Saved Computing, and even
> though I worked for the largest computer manufacturer of the day, there were
> precious few compiler-writing jobs available -- especially for entry-level
> CS grads.

I'm not being silly either. Lots of people that started with mainframes and have experience with UNIX environments like Sun, HP/UX, AIX, are motivated to learn the basics.

But that can not be said for most (I DIDN'T SAY ALL) of those who experience is limited to the Windows PC.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat May 04 2002 - 10:41:11 CDT