Re: Insert /* +append */ always ?

From: Steve Ashmore <sashmore_at_neonramp.com>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 17:38:38 -0500

No.
The append hint does not generate redo log information. So the only time you should use it is when you can afford to loose the data in the table. Once your next hot or cold is taken than you off course are no longer at risk.

So if you are loading right before a backup the risk is minimal. The longer you wait the bigger the risk.

Also you need to be aware that when you use the append hint the data is inserted beginning at the high water mark of the table. So you have just deleted a bunch of data those blocks will not be reused. If the tables was just truncated than it will start loading at the beginning.

Hope this helps.

Stephen C. Ashmore
Brainbench MVP for Oracle Administration http://www.brainbench.com

Author of 'So You Want to be an Oracle DBA?'