Re: Fifty years' experience in C programming; 20 in VB...

From: Larry Linson <larry.linson_at_ntpcug.org>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 23:19:32 GMT

Don't be silly. One of the best programmers I ever knew had a degree in Music, another had a degree in Animal Husbandry, and I have known many, many other competent and capable people who had no degree at all. One degree-less colleague held his own in the Research Division of a major computing company.

In fact, quite a few years ago, we cringed whenever a new-hire had a Computer Science degree, because the probability was high that he/she would expect to be assigned to write The Compiler That Saved Computing, and even though I worked for the largest computer manufacturer of the day, there were precious few compiler-writing jobs available -- especially for entry-level CS grads. Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 18:19:32 CDT