Re: Fifty years' experience in C programming; 20 in VB...

From: Obnoxio The Clown <obnoxio_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 21:19:28 GMT

On Fri, 03 May 2002 19:50:18 GMT, "RJE" <rjeimer_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Could be worse - I saw one last week asking for a "senior developer" that
>only listed ONE required skill.
>
>"Req. exp: 15+ years programming in Java".
>
>What's wrong with this picture.

The recruiters. (I used to be married to one, I know of which I speak!)

In general, if you could imagine the PHB taking job specs in a foreign language and then using "management techniques" to "clarify" the requirements, you'd have some idea of how these ads get written.

I suspect the person needing the programmer wanted a very, very experienced programmer who also knew Java (but then he'd also be more of a structured programmer than an OO programmer, but that's a whole 'nother story...)

The recruiter was also probably trying to save a couple of bucks on the advert placement by "summarising". Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 16:19:28 CDT