Re: Fifty years' experience in C programming; 20 in VB...

From: Bob Hall <bob_at_sten.alder.net>
Date: 2 May 2002 22:49:55 GMT

In article <s8jA8.240$7r7.120058891_at_newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, Kyralessa wrote:
> So why, Daniel, do so many companies post such enormous laundry lists of
> skills on their websites for any one position? The impression I get
> from most job postings I've looked at is that companies ARE looking for
> someone who's mastered more than is humanly possible: Five to seven
> years experience in at least fifteen of some twenty different acronyms
> listed. Maybe if companies didn't advertise their jobs this way and
> were more honest about what essential _core_ skills were required for
> each job, job-seekers wouldn't feel the need to make resumes like this.

I'm unemployed, so I've been looking at a lot of these "required skills" lists lately. The only ones I can take seriously are the ones that say

    DON'T BOTHER READING ANY FURTHER UNLESS YOU HAVE <short skill list> I think the lists that include the kitchen sink have caused job seekers to ignore the word "required".

But getting back to the original poster, have you noticed that he's claiming more years experience with C than Dennis Ritchie has?

Bob Hall

--
Access Hamsters: Free tools for users, DBAs, and developers.
http://users.starpower.net/rjhalljr   Click on Downloads.