Re: add a new column into the middle of an existing table

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 2 May 2002 11:01:47 -0800

J.P. (jp_boileau_at_yahoo.com) wrote:
: Steven,

: While I certainly can see your idea, I still think that
: users/developers that base their reports/GUI's/etc upon the physical
: structure of a DB are in for a surprise in the long run: "Stuff moves
: around".

users/developers *don't* base their reports upon the physical structure of the DB - the GUI tools do.

The user then has to spent time rearranging the report or screen to make it look correct.

It just makes it much faster for the developer if the order of the columns is prearranged to work well for the anticipated reports and screens.

A trick around this is to define temporary views that have the order and formatting that you want, and after the report has been generated then change the SQL it uses to use the correct table instead of the temporary view. Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 14:01:47 CDT