Help with Oracle COM Components

From: Roy <rspeaker_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 May 2002 07:43:50 -0700

Hi,

I'm looking for some information on the usage of Oracle COM Components. Let me give you a little background on what we want to do, and what help I need.

We have a number of what I consider "small" Oracle databases, each running on their own NT server (at most 2 databases on 1 server). To reduce costs, we are looking to redeploy these databases onto 1 or 2 large Unix servers.

One of these is a system used to pay commissions to our sales staff. When we asked the development staff the impact of moving just the backend from the NT server to the Unix server, the reply was:

I don't know enough about Oracle COM Components to know if this is the case or not. Are the COM components fully integrated with the database, in such a way that moving the database to another machine would require development changes? Or should moving the database not affect the application, assuming we update the tnsnames.ora file and network connectivity is present?

Appreciate any information on these COM components and their functionality.

Thanks
- Roy Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 09:43:50 CDT