Re: Sql*Net problems

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 2 May 2002 06:11:41 -0700

"Scott Mills" <scott.mills_at_ukf.net> wrote in message news:<aLYz8.549$oY2.87505_at_news11-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> Hello.
>
> I'm having some problems with a sqlnet v1 - v2 upgrade. We currently have
> both listeners running ok, and the sqlnet v2 side working. However we are
> having problems with a client app.
>
> Has anyone heard of a program called Forest And Trees by Platinum
> technologies?
>
> http://www.platinum.com/products/busintl/fortreps.htm
>
> The latest version is v6 and we are still using v4. V4 is able to run on
> both sqlnet v1 and v2 although I can't get it to run on v2. I am told that
> all I need to change is the provider file. I have done this but suspect that
> the provider file I am using does not connect to the version of sqlnet that
> we're running. It doesn't look like Platinum support forest and trees v4
> anymore. Has anyone here done a similar upgrade? or know where I can get my
> hands on a sqlnet v2 oracle provider for forest and trees v4 ?
>
> thanks
>
> Scott

Scott, I know nothing about your Platinum product and I really do not like to respond to SQLNET problems since there are so many variations possible, but as google is currently showing no responses to your post I will mention a couple of things that you can check:

1 - I take it that since you have a v1 and v2 listener running at the same time and I assume on the same box that they are not listening on the same port for the same protocol at the same ip address. Our experience tells up that normally when you start the second listener it will result in the first one terminating but on some platforms/versions you might just get the two listeners conflicting on the messages.

2 - If you have a v2 listener running it should be able to listen for everybody so there should be no need to run a v1 listener

Note - it might help to get a meaningful response if you posted your platform OS versions, Oracle versions, and Net8/SQLNET versions. Often the actual listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files in use must be posted for someone on the board to resolve a SQLNET problem.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 08:11:41 CDT