Re: add a new column into the middle of an existing table

From: Steven Healey <sphealey_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 01:28:52 GMT

 >J.P. wrote:

> You gott'a stop thinking in non Relational-DB style...
>
> The physical location of a column is totally irrelevant in a RDBMS.
>
> JP
>
> leiwang_q_at_hotmail.com (lei wang) wrote in message news:<af074b9c.0204301247.65da02f9_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>Is there an easy way to add a new column into the middle of an >>existing table?

It is not however irrelevant to users of GUI-based tools such as Crystal Reports - particularly novice or light users. Typically in such tools columns can be displayed in either the natural order as stored in the database or in alphabetical order. However, the majority of reports hit a few key columns, and when a packaged software vendor adds a column at the end of the table that is often used with the first few columns the result is a pain in the wrist for the tool user.

Experienced users may know methods for twisting column ordering around in report writers (and similar tools) to meet our needs, but it is still a pain.

sPh Received on Wed May 01 2002 - 20:28:52 CDT