Re: Oracle's performance on 4 CPU Server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:00:40 +0200

<100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:aam6sf$gr$1_at_news.netmar.com...
> Hello
>
> Using Oracle 8.1.7 on a Sun E3500 (4 CPUs, 2 GB RAM), one application
> takes several days to finish and I am putting an eye on Oracle's
performance.
> When I look to the graphs produced by the proctool, I don't really
understand
> what is happening, because the CPUs are always to some extent "idle",
which
> they shouldn't, since the "wait" times are near zero. To my understanding,
> wait times occur when the CPU is dealing with data contained in peripheric
> devices, otherwise CPU usage ("system" + "user") should approach 100%.
>
> I am not even sure if Oracle is able to profit from several CPUs under
> Solaris 7.
>
> How can I monitor what is the bottleneck in such a situation?
>
> By the way, proctool is not an Oracle application, but just a free program
> to monitor CPU and HD usage and processes.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Rick

eb -----
> http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+
groups
> NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
> made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email
abuse_at_newsone.net

Oracle will only play 'Divide and Conquer' with multiple CPUs if Parallel Query is installed and Parallel Query is only available with the Enterprise Edition.
If you have Oracle Standard, 'Divide and Conquer' is subject to any algorithms present in Solaris and/or pbind commands you explicitly gave. So if you have Standard it is pretty much end of story. Apart from 'binding' a process to a specific CPU you can't do anything.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA