Two Networking cards

From: Tom <t.alexander_at_ads-tec.de>
Date: 30 Apr 2002 01:01:20 -0700

Hi,
I am fairly new to Oracle and use Oracle 8i as a platform for DB programming. I installed Oracle 8i locally on my PC (Windows 2000 Pro) and got everything up an running fairly quickly (pretty excited about all of the features it has). Next to my Oracle PC I implemented a second pc (Windows 95), to connect to the Oracle DB. I had to use Oracle 7 SQL* NET Client because I have an old 16 bit application
(which I'm reprogramming to 32bit) that needed Oracle 7 Client
supporting files. Both PCs were connected through a hub on our local LAN using TCP/IP and everything worked great. Until... One Day my networking admin came and told us because of security purposes he would only allow one PC onto the LAN. Damn.. I then installed a second Networking card onto my Oracle PC, created a subnet and connected the second PC to the first using a crosslink cable (TCP Ping woks fine).
Upon rebooting I sadly found that my, since so stable, Oracle wouldn't start. I checked the services on my OraclePC and found:

OracleServiceDB1--Running (Database)
OracleOraHome81TNSListener -- Not running OracleOraHome81Agent--Not Running
(other services not started)

Whenever I disable the second added Networking card on my Oracle PC everything works fine. (Tried it 3 times)

So, my question is :

How do I get Oracle running using two Networking cards. Do I need to define through which Card Oracle's TNS Listener is listening to? Do I need to strangle my network admin?

I searched the Web and cant find a solution ..

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.. Received on Tue Apr 30 2002 - 03:01:20 CDT