Taking advantage of reverse indexes?

From: Ronnie Schnell <ronnie_at_twitch.mit.edu>
Date: 29 Apr 2002 20:20:45 GMT

I already posted something about this to 'comp.databases.oracle' but realized that that newsgroup is not widely distributed...

I have been able to take advantage of indexes for searches using the "LIKE" operator in the past. Now I would like to be able to do a quick query on domains from e-mail addresses, as in "LIKE '%_at_AOL.COM'", for example...as documented, normally this would not take advantage of the index (the documentation says that an index can be used as long as the leading character is not a wildcard, and that makes perfect sense for a normal index). However, if there is a reverse index, I feel like it should be able to take advantage of it in this case. It would be just like having the wildcard at the end of a normal index. It seems as if he optimizer does not realize this. I am using Oracle 9i. Is there any way to steer it in the right direction? Received on Mon Apr 29 2002 - 15:20:45 CDT