Re: Alter Tables

From: Galen Boyer <galendboyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2002 09:35:15 -0500

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, richard.nield_at_ntlworld.com wrote:
> Hi...I was wondering what the general opnion of my problem below
> muight be. I had just finished creating and population our new db
> for 2003/2004, when the client contacts me with some changes he needs
> fro this year. When I look into his requiremts, I see the only way I
> can complete the task is by adding a new field to the ITEMS tablle.
> But that's ok, I think, I can use an ALTER statement to update the
> table in sqlplus and update the ERD in designer later. I tell my
> boss what I planned to to do and he says that I am not allowed to do
> that I have to:
>
> 1. Exoport the data from the current DB.
> 2 Drop the schema
> 3. Update design and generate the DDL
> 4. Create new scehema and run the DDL
> 5. Import the data.

Your boss is trying to make sure the ERD is the beginning and focal point of how your database gets changed. It is a good thing to be very anal about. Maybe you can make a compromise by updating the ERD, generating the ddl from it, do a diff against the new table, show him that there are no differences and go from there.

--
Galen deForest Boyer