Re: Triggers/sequences or interface code

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 13:44:17 +0400

As Mr. Lewis pointed out, getting sequence.nextval in trigger will require additional query from dual and will not give you the new value back, while using INSERT (id,...) VALUES(sequence.nextval,...) RETURNING id INTO :host_var will do the the same job in one pass and will additionally give you back the new generated id where trigger will just silently generate it and application will have to dig for it after insert (again, additional query). Result is one statement instead of three (or two if generated id is not needed right away), and easier maintenance.