Re: Oracle and network dasd

From: Not Tellen <NotMe_at_NoSpam.Com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:53:05 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:23:40 -0700, Not Tellen <NotMe_at_NoSpam.Com>
> wrote:
>

>>We are being told by a number of vendors that oracle runs well on
>>network attached storage. I have heard reports from other users that
>>this is not so. I would appreciate hearing your experiences in that arena.
>>
>>Just to be clear, I am not talking about SAN storage that is connected
>>via a standard SCSI or Fibré interface. I am talking about the storage
>>that is attached via NFS or other network protocol. I am keenly
>>interested to storage attached to AIX but want to hear about all
>>experiences.
>>
>>Thanks!

> EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
> NFS. You aren't serious, aren't you? Or do you simply have no budget?
> Oracle advises *strongly* against using NFS. It will be dead slow
> (especially using NFS 2 which is the default on AIX) and unstable. If
> the remote system drops the connection, do you know what is going to
> happen? Probably crash the database.
> Oracle does support NAS, though AFAIK only the netapps implementation
> of it, www.netapp.com
>
> Hth
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

It is not a lack of budget it is a lack of trust. That is why I am here asking for user experiences :)

If I say "no we won't go that route" I have to have good reasons. And the truth is that I really don't know that it is bad yet. Only my gut instinct says it so and that is hard to sell. :) Received on Fri Apr 26 2002 - 14:53:05 CDT