Re: Help:ORA-00054: resource busy and acquire with NOWAIT specified

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2002 10:46:49 -0700

Indeed TRUNCATE is a true DDL. But sometimes it's not obvious. For instance, ALTER SYSTEM and ALTER SESSION do not commit a transaction. This is because they don't "define or delete database objects" (cited from documentation, definition of DDL, where warnings are not given that not all ALTERs alter database objects).

But what about CREATE PROCEDURE? It does commit. We can say it inserts a row into data dictionary tables. How about ALTER PROCEDURE COMPILE? Test it. You'll see it also commits a transaction. How do we explain that?

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com