Re: Wierd Oracle 9 Behaviour -- Reserved Word?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:53:24 GMT

Mac Flores IV wrote:

> I have a form that submits to an Oracle 9 database table of column
> varchar2[4000]. When I type the following text in a textarea served by
> a ColdFusion-based web interface, it errors:
>
> --start of text---
> She feels fine in the mornings, and notes that the attacks begin after
> her arrival at school. She has not experienced similar consistent
> attacks in the past.
> ---end of text----
>
> The error I get is
>
> ODBC Error Code = S1000 (General error)
>
> However, when I submit the same text in an Oracle 8.1.7 database table
> of column varchar2[4000], I don't get any errors. I tried to submit the
> 2 sentences a word at a time and the error started when I include the
> word "begin" in the submission. Thus, I changed the word "begin" to
> "start" as follows:
>
> --start of text---
> She feels fine in the mornings, and notes that the attacks start after
> her arrival at school. She has not experienced similar consistent
> attacks in the past.
> ---end of text----
>
> Lo, and behold! No error! I also tried:
>
> --start of text---
> She feels fine in the mornings, and notes that the attacks_begin after
> her arrival at school. She has not experienced similar consistent
> attacks in the past.
> ---end of text----
>
> This one does not error out. Here's another text that gives me an error
> on an Oracle 9 database but does not give an error in an Oracle 8.1.7
> database:
>
> --start of text---
> The pain can last anywhere from minutes to the full day but usually
> feels better by the end of the day. She is not bothered by exercise,
> food usually makes her feel better, but spices complicate her symptoms.
> ---end of text----
>
> Again when I replace the words "end of" with "end_of" like:
>
> --start of text---
> The pain can last anywhere from minutes to the full day but usually
> feels better by the end_of the day. She is not bothered by exercise,
> food usually makes her feel better, but spices complicate her symptoms.
> ---end of text----
>
> I don't get any errors! This is really wierd! Can anybody enlighten me
> on what's happening here? Thanks!
>
> Mac Flores IV
> Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA
> macflores_at_northwestern.edu

'Begin' and 'end' are certainly a reserved word in Oracle. But from the standpoint of submitting text ... I can type the the words into a text field without encountering an error so this must be a ColdFusion thing. Try putting single quotes at the beginning and end of your text and see if that fixes the problem. Undoubtedly this is a ColdFusion bug so look for a patch or for someone that knows the product well enough to know the work-around.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Apr 26 2002 - 09:53:24 CDT