Re: Which normal form is this violating?

From: Roger Redford <dba_222_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 11:52:11 -0700

To clarify, please refer to my second posting that has an example with the EMPloyee table.

FieldX has no more attributes. It is the attribute, such as the zip code, and decomposes no more.

All fields are NOT NULL, or can be assumed to be.

I am refering to traditional Relational Database normalization using Entity Relationship Diagrams. As you might read in a book by Date, or Codd (or refering to one of their references).

This is not object oriented design. Pure relational database design, before Object Oriented design was around. As in:

First normal form
Second Normal Form
Third Normal Form
Boyce Codd Normal Form

My coworkers have just begun creating tables. NO real reasons that are based in database design. Received on Thu Apr 25 2002 - 13:52:11 CDT