Re: Create oracle users PL/SQL procedure

From: Mark <markg_at_mymail.co.uk>
Date: 23 Apr 2002 01:17:30 -0700

Hi,

I read some of the posts in this thread from Daniel, Niall and Sybrand and partly agree and disagree with the comments.

I personally cannot see why end users cant create other users for themselves. However, when designing your procedure to do it, be aware of security issues.

I have done it for a particular project, basically one or two appointed admin users can create other users. In my code, I use dynamis SQL to create the Oracle user and have dynamic SQL to only grant them access to tables which they need to run the application. The grants are done via a predefined role. They cannot see System tables or get up to anything they shouldn't (if they ever got access to tools, they have locked-down PCs).

The users only need a GRANT EXECUTE on the procedures which create a user, they will not need a specific CREATE ANY USER role assigned to them since the procedure will be run with the rights of the owner of the procedure (ie definer rights).

In short, no problem for me, you can try it yourself but be aware of issues.

Mark