Re: Create oracle users PL/SQL procedure

From: Vincent O'Neill <vincent_oneill_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: 23 Apr 2002 01:06:19 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<uc92aa248ovs07_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message
> > That grant execute to .. does not confer the underlying privileges. so the
> > user can be allowed to create users through the stored procedure without
> > having dba access to the system.
> >

> > --
> > Niall Litchfield
> > Oracle DBA
> > Audit Commission UK
> > Please include version and platform
> > and SQL where applicable
> > It makes life easier and increases the
> > likelihood of a good answer
> >

> You are correct, but if you have to administer this db, don't you think you
> are loosing ALL control if you are allowing end-users to do this?
>
> Regards

Thanks for the replies so far.

The reason I need this procedure is to allow a database operator ONLY to create oracle accounts without having access to the system/sys passwords for internal audit reasons. I would create a procedure and grant access to the procedure from say DBOPERATOR and they could create the account add the password, role, profile, temp and default tablespace through the PL/SQL procedure. Only this user (DBOPERATOR) would be granted execute access to it and the procedure would update an audit table with timestamps and account setup values. If there is a better way to do this please let me know

Thanks

Vincent Received on Tue Apr 23 2002 - 03:06:19 CDT