Re: Oracle DBA training

From: RKG <rkg100_at_erols.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:30:28 -0300

There is a BIG difference in the following two statements:

  1. Noone can do it
  2. Hardly anyone can do it.

The fact that you found ONE example does not impress me. There are literally thousands of people around the US taking these DBA courses. I have seen a grand total of ONE entry level DBA class advertised in the last year paying $25k in Connecticut.

Also, there is a BIG difference to what your friend did "a few years ago" and what the current market is like today.

  1. The market is SLOW. We are not in an economic recession, but we are in a jobs recession.
  2. Alot more immigrants with work experience come here every year. Much harder to compete with them when you start out(this is not an anti-immigrant post... just a point)
  3. The market is maturing. Oracle is now 20 years old. As time goes on more and more people with more experience will be available. Someone with 5 years experience ten years ago, was alot more rare than today.

Dont this to this guy... he is clueless. You wont get a job. Dont waste your money. Just test the market first. Find out what they teach in the class. Add it to your current resume and pass it out. Your only calls will be from recruiters who dont know how to read a resume. Do this for 3 months. Apply nationwide.

BTW, dont take a CHUBB class. I cant stand them. They are pushy and pretentious. I cant stand pushy sales people. Find someone else.

> > No you wont get a job. There is no such thing as an entry level DBA.
They