Re: ORACLE8 VS ACCESS2000

From: Tim Marshall <tmarshal_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:34:58 -0230

Kenneth C Stahl wrote:

> Just get the most recent version of the MDAC from the
> Microsoft site. After that it depends on whether you want to
> do DSN style ODBC, DSNless ODBC or OLEDB. If you are going
> to write VBA code to do the work then you should definitely
> choose the OLEDB route.

Kenneth (or anyone else who might be able to give me some insight on this topic), this is perhaps a little time after the original question by Farkas Róbert, but looking over the newsgroup, your answer intrigued me.

I do a lot of work with Access (97) front ends using data from an Oracle application we use in my department for tracking maintenance. I believe my approach is what you refer to as the "DSN style", where I set up a DSN and then set up links to specific Oracle tables in my Access mdb.

What is the difference between this approach and what you call "DSNless" or OLEDB? Is any one better than another, generally, or under specific conditions? Is there some place you can point me to if this involves a pretty in depth response?

BTW, our Oracle DBAs at the university where I work have advised me that Oracle supplied ODBC drivers are probably better than the MS one that comes with the various versions of Office Professional. What do you think of that statement?

Also, is the misc group the appropriate place for ODBC questions? Although i didn't check under server, I checked here and under tools and this group seemed to have the most ODBC posts and responses...

Thanks very much in advance.

PS, if I don't acknowledge any response right away it's because I'm going to away from internet connections for a couple of weeks... Good lord, it'll be like stopping smoking, cold turkey <shudder>

--
Tim - http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
 ^o<