Re: How do I make this SQL more efficient?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:02:32 GMT

I am sorry to say (not too sorry) that you are correct.

It is always a judgement call. When people ask about performance ... my first thought is ... is there an index anywhere? Even the best SQL will run poorly without the proper indexes. Ask me how I know. ;-)

Sometimes I post solutions ... but usually I like to point people in the right direction. I guess that comes from teaching. But his SQL was as you say. Well thought out ... and indicating a lot of hard work ... but horrifying. So I did think he was just trying to get someone to do his work. And since my time here on the board is generally short bits interspersed between testing procs or performance tuning things ... it tends to be 30 seconds here, 45 seconds there. It doesn't allow me the luxury of really getting into things as deeply as you obviously did.

On reflection I agree with your analysis.

Daniel Morgan