Re: Oracle Front End - Java?

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 17 Apr 2002 13:04:03 -0800

KellyM (kellym128_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: Hi

: My company recently purchased Oracle 9i.
: I have now started the long journey of learning Oracle.

: I have been asked to design a front end for this database.
: I was intending on using a stand alone application written in Java using
: JDBC to connect to the database. Is this the most common way to do this? or
: does Oracle provide some sort of cusomizable forms. (ie. similar to access)

Oh yes. Form Builder, Report Builder, etc etc..., everthing you could every want and more, and also tools that allow the whole thing to be designed at a high visual level and then generate the code you need, if you wish.

Combinations of the individual tools are given nice package names that sales staff can use, like "Developer/2000" "Designer/2000" etc.

I'm not sure what the package names are now, but there are certainly lots of powerful tools available from Oracle for "easily" creating applications of many sorts.

There are also 3rd party products that can provide the front end for oracle, including MsAccess itself if you wish (and if you already have it and know it.) In access, simply make table links that point to the oracle database tables and then use access just like you normally do (except that many of the queries you might make in access should perhaps be moved into VIEWS in Oracle and accessed like tables). Received on Wed Apr 17 2002 - 16:04:03 CDT