Re: MSVCRT.DLL Mystery still remains unsolved after 2+ years

From: Kevin Carlson <kcarlson_at_speakeasy.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:32:02 -0700

Before the first repeating error message, I get a single message box that says:

"OLE Initialize or OCX Load Error while registering OCX."

(Which one?)

The repeating error message is as follows:

"The MSVCIRT.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL:??_U_at_YAPAXI@Z."

I run the install with no other programs running, and my PC has 320 Meg RAM with 100 GB HD (75 GB free), so (hopefully), memory isn't the problem ....

The OCX message seems to suggest a bad OCX file or maybe a registry problem. I have run Norton Win Doctor several times before and since the install, so the Registry ought to be OK.

If one or more OCX file(s) are bad, where can I find updated replacements? I assume they go into the c:\windows\system directory, and seem to recall that backup system files are stored on the HD is compressed format somewhere ... (Maybe Microsoft can provide newer, debugged ones?)

Thanks,
Kevin

> > Looking at archived posts going back to Oracle 7.x, the "MSVCRT.DLL
Mystery
> > Message" (or 3M as I now call it) has apparently never yet been
resolved.
> > Posts from the year 2000 blame the problem on Y2K-sensitive installation
> > software. Posts from 2001 blame defective hard drives, or failing to
run
> > scandisk before doing the install.
> >
> > During the default database creation process, I get a few dozen pop-up
> > message boxes referencing a problem with MSVCRT.DLL. The only options
are
> > skip or abort the install. After the install, Oracle cannot be started.
> >
> > Well folks, it's now 2002 and I have a new hard drive, and am ATTEMPTING
> > load Personal Oracle 9i for Windows 98 onto Win 98SE. I'm getting the
same
> > error message that folks have been getting since at least two years ago.
> > Interestingly, I was successful in installing Oracle Enterprise 8i on a
PC