Oracle DBA training

From: Bill <wjapinga_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:23:25 -0400

Training Questions:
1. Is commercial certificate training a viable way to get into an entry-level

    Oracle DBA position? (Yup, I know the IT market is down, but likely     back up by the time I'm ready.)
2. Are there cheaper, but still practical alternatives? - I recognize that this

    isn't a "sit down with a book and a PC" committment. 3. I would appreciate any feedback on the Oracle program at Skidmore

    College. Anyone who went through this program or has interviewed     folks who came out of Skidmore.

Career Questions:
There seems to be a bunch of different positions available related to Oracle.
If I were more interested in Oracle-related development, database design, etc.
is it usual to first go through the DBA job track or is there a pathway to these
other positions?

If it makes any difference, my experience is 20 years as a credit analyst/loan
officer, but I've done some decent Access database development. Figure if I am going to change careers at this point, I might as well go directly to the best.

Thanks very much for any input!
Bill Japinga
wjapinga_at_mindspring.com Received on Wed Apr 17 2002 - 11:23:25 CDT