MSVCRT.DLL Mystery still remains unsolved after 2+ years

From: Kevin Carlson <kcarlson_at_speakeasy.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:51:23 -0700

Looking at archived posts going back to Oracle 7.x, the "MSVCRT.DLL Mystery Message" (or 3M as I now call it) has apparently never yet been resolved. Posts from the year 2000 blame the problem on Y2K-sensitive installation software. Posts from 2001 blame defective hard drives, or failing to run scandisk before doing the install.

During the default database creation process, I get a few dozen pop-up message boxes referencing a problem with MSVCRT.DLL. The only options are skip or abort the install. After the install, Oracle cannot be started.

Well folks, it's now 2002 and I have a new hard drive, and am ATTEMPTING to load Personal Oracle 9i for Windows 98 onto Win 98SE. I'm getting the same error message that folks have been getting since at least two years ago. Interestingly, I was successful in installing Oracle Enterprise 8i on a PC running Win2K Pro. I also successfully installed Personal Oracle 7.3 on Win95 a few years ago.

Has anyone successfully resolved this problem? The install is apparently successful with certain people at ceretain times, or ther'ed be a LOT more talk on this subject. Any ideas? Please don't simply tell me that your install runs fine. I need to know why this one DOESN'T. Perhaps the SE "upgrade" has screwed things up?

Thanks,
Kevin Received on Wed Apr 17 2002 - 01:51:23 CDT