Re: inserting html into clob field

From: <Christopher.Jones_at_oracle.comX>
Date: 17 Apr 2002 11:57:41 +1000

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> writes:

> <Christopher.Jones_at_oracle.comX> wrote in message
> > SET SCAN OFF was obsoleted in SQL*Plus 3.2 which came out with Oracle
> > 7.2 in 1994 (or was it early 1995?).
>
> OK, OK, OK I surrender.
>
> I'd suggest you do remove obsolete syntax. In fact I'm quite tempted to
> suggest that obsolete syntax should be removed in the version after it is
> obsoleted - which would have removed set scan off in Oracle 8. The fact that
> I can give advice that was 'obsoleted' 7 years and 4 major versions ago
> (7.3,8,8i,9i) and have it still work speaks volumes.

This is where we hope the SQL*Plus 9i SET SQLPLUSCOMPATIBILITY option will help. I'm aware of the issues of introducing such an environment toggle and we'll try to eliminate them. There is also possible confusion by people who don't understand the difference between SQL and SQL*Plus - the SET option only affects the client tool.

Providing a compatibility option allows all of us users to migrate easily, while allowing obsolete or awkward functionality to be changed for the overall good. Perhaps some scripts currently do depend on SET PAUSE pausing at the top of the page, or require substitution variables in comments.

Chris

--
Christopher Jones, Oracle Corporation, Australia.