Re: Oracle 9i Standard vs Enterprise

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 16 Apr 2002 07:57:35 -0700

In article <5d75e934.0204160243.62bc2c7b_at_posting.google.com>, edzard_at_volcanomail.com says...

>Hello Christian,
>
>The major difference is the price for the Oracle license. The
>difference between Standard and Enterprise edition is almost a factor
>ten!

Sorry, can't let this one past without comment. The major difference is not price, it's functionality. If you want the added functionality, then be prepared to pay more. Just about every software company I can think of is exactly the same. There is a PDF file that compares the different functionality of the different editions on Oracle's web site.

>You need to decide in advance what you need. I started with Standard
>Edition and found, while the system was already in production, that I
>could not use Advanced Replication. This required to upgrade to
>Enterprise Edition. I had to reinstall the Oracle software almost from
>scratch.

Multi-master needs EE, not all Advanced Replication. Also, most sites I've done this at wanted to install to a different ORACLE_HOME anyway so they had a backup, so I don't see much of an issue installing EE. You certainly don't need to build a new database from scratch, which would be much more work.

>Edzard
>

>"Christian Farley" <christian.farley_at_domtar.com> wrote in message
>> Can someone tell me the major diffrence between Oracle 9i Standard edition
>> and enterprise edition ?
>>

>> Thanks

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Apr 16 2002 - 09:57:35 CDT