Re: DBA Information question...

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:53:10 GMT

My answer is not directly related to your question ... but rather to issues you haven't considered. I would strongly urge you to not let your customers build their own instances and databases for your product based on written text. There are considerations with respect to an Oracle installation that go well beyond what can be communicated in that manner.

I would suggest that you supply your customers with an initSID.ora and a series of build scripts (starting with create database, followed by creation of temp, rollback, data, and index tablespaces, etc.). Add instructions on which parameters they can modify and which they can not. And what considerations relate to how it is modified.

I've done this for more than a few customers. And every time they are left to create their own my clients have ended up sending in support personnel to clean up the mess. Seemingly small things like block size and character set can make a huge difference.

Daniel Morgan