Re: "OK" to loop on DBMS_SLEEP ???

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:45:43 +0200

> I'm not the one with the issue but I hate cron. Error messaging is not nearly as
> robust as what is possible with DBMS_JOB and it leaves the application's error
> messages in multiple places. Also, it requires having one more skill set and more
> privileges which means more things that can go wrong or be done poorly.

Well, most DBAs know their OS very well. But I won't force anyone to use cron. You should use what you know best. If there is no other way you have to learn what solves your problems.

> Is there anything cron can do that DBMS_JOB with a bit of C or Java can't do
> better?

If you use C or even Java your code isn't fully platform independend too.

> PS: The other thing I don't like about cron is that it is UNIX specific which means
> it can not be migrated to other platforms without a rewrite.

See above.

A customer has a database and they are doing alot w/ DBMS_JOB. Before they did it w/ cronjobs, now they switched to DBMS_JOB. They have 10 background processes which consume some memory. Now they buy more memory (machine is swapping).

Regards,

Knut Received on Mon Apr 15 2002 - 13:45:43 CDT