Re: Stupid Question: Be Kind

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:19:43 +0200

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:24:06 -0400, "Dave Williams" <dwilliams_at_dtw-consulting.com> wrote:

>Ok,
> I'm trying to install Oracle Applications R11.5.5 on my Linux machine at
>home. This is more for curiosity than anything else. Also, I am NOT a DBA
>so please be patient here. I have Mandrake 8.2, which I know is not
>certified but it is what I have installed and I wanted to give it a go
>before I break down and install RH.
>
>So far the installation has gone well and I am stuck because of my lack of
>DBA skills :-( From what I can gather 8.1.7 has been installed and so has
>the PROD and VIS databases. The installation is about 20% of the way
>through and it go stuck on a window titled 'Configuration Tools'. This
>window has 3 steps that it is trying to do automatically. These steps are
>as follows :-
>
>1. Create DB listener
>2. Recreate DB control file
>3. Convert DB character set.
>
>Step 1 completed fine and I can see the listener running when I do a grep.
>So far this is only for the PROD database.
>
>Step 2 fails because I think that the first step shutdown the database and
>now step 2 cannot log into the PROD database. I have no idea how to start
>the PROD database. I have looked at the 8i docs and I have tried the
>following: -
>
>ok....just found out that I need to run addbctl.sh start to bring up the
>database. This is not working since I get an 'end of communications
>channel' error.
>
>No idea why..I'm stuck...any idea/help will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave.

ora-3113 at startup is almost always caused by inappropiate shared memory parameters in the kernel for the Oracle memory parameters in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initPROD.ora
Usually this is caused by insufficient semaphores (the SEMMNS parameter) This parameter needs to be 2 * processes in init.ora + 10 If you have 100+ processes defined in initPROD.ora (processes = <n>), cut the number of processes down and retry. Otherwise, change the SEMNS parameter recompile the kernel and reboot.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Apr 14 2002 - 10:19:43 CDT