Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager to manage different instances with different versions on different machines

From: Liz <lizr_at_geologist.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2002 13:40:27 -0700

The intellegent agent (IA) does not exist for VMS. You can manually discover VMS nodes and run the standard OEM modules. I too have a diverse set of OS's (NT, VMS, and Unix) and have not yet found the lack of a IA on VMS to be a large problem. Actually the lack of tnsping is a bigger problem. VMS has an excellent batch system so, I really don't need OEM to run jobs.

For those nodes which do run IA, your interpretation is correct. It is similar to listener, where you run the listener from the highest Oracle home. Oracle is very good at being "backward compatable". (An old VMS term meaning the software understands previous versions.)

Liz