Re: Any luck with Mandrake Linux 8.1

From: TGGA <tgga_at_THISWILLBOUNCE.viper.karoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 00:19:26 +0100

"Michael Segulja" <msegulja_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bib19a.kif.ln_at_jedi.largemandigital.com...
> Thanks for you reply. That's kind of the answer I was expecting, but not
> hoping for... :-)
>
> So what distribution of Linux do your Oracle experts like? I'm installing
> Redhat 7.1 right now to try it with that distribution, just because I
don't
> really have any experience with SuSE. Do you recommend SuSE over Redhat?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Michael

I liked SuSE mostly because it allowed me to run certain tests on Oracle away from my live stuff, and my test stuff come to think of it:-) They both have their good points and to be honest I use them both at work where I don't want to thow 10's of thousands of pounds at a server. (SuSE *always* my choice for Oracle on the 'cheap') Before some Oracle salesman jumps on me, I have Silver Service and a license to run any application/any platform.

For Oracle SuSE went out of their way to get certified, neither cheap or something that you do on the spur of the moment. RedHat 6.2 used to be certified, but I'm not sure of it's status. SuSE 7.2 Pro cost me £39 about 50 us dollars, so it's cheaper than RH7.2 Pro to buy.

Anyhow, I have to say SuSE for my choice of Linux.

Regards,

Pete Received on Wed Apr 10 2002 - 18:19:26 CDT