Combining freespace

From: Basil Jackson <BJackson_at_BOSGmbH.Com>
Date: 10 Apr 2002 09:27:55 -0700

Theoretically, one could use the fields block_id and blocks from the views dba_extents and dba_free_space to find large free extents which are almost adjacent but have some allocated blocks between them. Knowing which table that is, you could move that table out of the way and allow all of the blocks to coalesce into one larger free extent.

I didn't say it would be easy... I can think of better ways to spend an afternoon...

Doing an ALTER TABLE MOVE on a table or two may result in less down time for you than doing an export/import (though it won't solve the problem as long term as other solutions proposed!) Received on Wed Apr 10 2002 - 11:27:55 CDT