Need an option here ( experts, freakz,...)

From: cot_r <bvanespen_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 18:51:26 GMT

Hi,

I am doing a little case study about index performance for school. I followed
some guidlines i found on
(http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v2/rebuild.htm).

I created a table performance( id number, name varchar), filled it with 10000 records , deleted 3000 and ran a analyses.

NAME HEIGHT LF_ROWS DEL_LF_ROWS RATIO

PK_PERFORMANCE 2 10000 3012 0.3012
-> ratio is > 20 %

I issued following query: select id from performance where id between 100 and 8974;
and i got: ellapsed time 00:00:55.06:

Then i rebuilded the index and did the same query about 10 times. The mean time is:52.34

So theoretically, i would have an improvance of 0.049 (~5%). I am connected over VPN to a db, will my connection affect the elapsed time?

Is this conlcusion correct, any remarks?

thx a lot.

http://users.pandora.be/vanespen Received on Mon Apr 08 2002 - 13:51:26 CDT