Re: DBAs becoming extinct?

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:44:16 GMT

Richard, I've replaced or fired "development" DBA's that had bad attitudes too.

No matter which side you are on, the first thing you have to remember is that there ARE no "sides", and if production is in trouble, anyone with usable skills that doesn't mobilize their butts to help (not meddle, help) obviously does not care what happens to their company or organization.

As a senior DBA / designer / architect / whatever, I was flying down the stairs to operations to help out the production DBA if ever there was a problem; my predecessor never even walked in the door of operations and expected everyone to come to his office with questions, kind of like Moses climbing the mountain. Even building new things, production comes first, always. If the furnace is going out, you better be prepared and able to help shovel coal along with everyone else. That means looking at sar and vmstat at odd moments, top, running OEM, etc.

A comment was "You're in development and design; whatshisname never came down here."

'Well, that was then. This is now.'

I may have all these hoity-toity titles and such, but I never forgot my roots, and I am always on the pager list. If you are down, there is no such thing as "it's somebody else's problem".

It's EVERYBODY's problem.

RSH. PS: I agree with Richard that senior level DBA's are born, not made. I guess I just got done describing part of it.