Re: Compability between Oracle 8.0.5 and Oracle 8.1.7

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:46:31 +0200

"Xmina" <xmina_leiria_at_clix.pt> wrote in message news:3CAF4954.9080509_at_clix.pt...

> Dear Friends
>
> At the moment I've not a problem, so feel free to not answer or even read
> the rest fo the message.
>
> I've a server running the Oracle server 8.0.5 in a platfform Windows, and
> I want to install a client with Oracle 8.1.7 but on a Linux machine.
>
> Do you think that I can have some troubles when connecting from Linux ??
> And of what Kind ?!
> Can they be solved ?!
>
> Or by other side everything will run smoothly ?
>
> Kindly
> Bruno Sousa

Oracle is downwards compatible.
This means a 8.0.5 client can communicate with a 8.1.7 database. What you want is upwards compatibility. This is not necessarily guaranteed to work and not supported. There are also known incompatibilities between the two net8 versions.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA