Re: altering table and column comments from PL/SQL

From: Adam Rothberg <adamr1000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2002 05:29:08 -0800

Good point! Sorry:

It's a trigger on a table I'm using to store comments for reporting. When this table is updated, i want the comments on the table/view/column to be updated...

TRIGGER DOCS_COMMENTS
 AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE ON ELLIPSIS_DOCS FOR EACH ROW
DECLARE
szSQL VARCHAR2(1000);
BEGIN    IF :new.COMMENTS IS NOT NULL THEN

          IF :new.ENTITY_TYPE IN ('TABLE', 'VIEW') THEN

	  	 szSQL := 'COMMENT ON TABLE '
		 	   ||:new.OWNER||'.'||:new.ENTITY_NAME||' IS '
			   ||''''||:new.COMMENTS||''';';

	  ELSIF :new.ENTITY_TYPE IN ('COLUMN') THEN

	  	 szSQL := 'COMMENT ON COLUMN '||
                  :new.OWNER||
                  '.'||
                  :new.TABLE_NAME||