Oracle 9i - intel box (linux) vs sparc box (solaris)

From: Giorgio Corani <giorgio.corani_at_ama-mi.it>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:04:43 +0200

Dear All,
I ask you for a comparison between two different choices in order to set up a oracle db server.
The server will be mainly aimed to supplying data to a Sparc workstation, devoted to intensive numerical tasks.
Data will be received once in the day and amount to about 7000-8000 numerical values.
A few users (up to 10) will query the db simultaneoulsy. Data repository will be mirrored through RAID technology. We are going to use oracle9i as DBMS.
Since the load doesn't seem to be huge, I would to ask you:
-could such db server perform well on an intel based machine, running Linux?
or is it better -in your opinion- to install it on a Solaris box, such as Sun Blade100?
-does Oracle 9i work fine under Linux environment, or its stability and
performance improves significantly under Solaris?

Regards,
-Giorgio Corani