sorting with parentheses

From: Tom Odul <tom_odul_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 16:29:00 GMT

My Oracle: Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition, Release 2, Version 8.1.6 for Windows NT/2000

I have a problem sorting records which start with parentheses.

I want to sort them like this:

rex
sedes
(sedes

timor

It works on my Windows2000/Oracle server, but when I export/import the db to a NT4/Oracle server, it sorts like this:

(sedes

rex
sedes
timor

Both databases have the same character set: WE8ISO8859P1

At http://www.stylusinc.net/technology/Oracle9i/sorting.shtml, I read that you can modify the sorting capabilities of Oracle 9. Does anyone know if it's possible in Oracle 8, how to do it, and if it will fix my problem?

Thanx in advance

Tom Received on Wed Apr 03 2002 - 10:29:00 CST