VB ADO vs Oracle Stored Procedures

From: ZV <valliz_at_consultant.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:13:43 -0500

Hi.

We are trying to access an Oracle 7 database's data through VB, using ADO and Oracle Stored Procedures.

We have found various examples for executing the following type of queries :

  1. Retrieving a recordset (with or without input variables + any number of TABLE output parameters which will form the result recordset)
  2. Updating data (Insert, Update or Delete)
  3. Calculating the number of rows for a specific query (any number of input parameters + any number of output parameters, but no rows returned, thus no recordset)

Type (1) queries are executed through "adCmdText" type ADO commands, while type (2) and (3) queries are executed through "adStoredProc" type ADO commands.

Now, we are trying to make a mix of type (1) and (3), i.e. we would like to retrieve a recordset from the database, but, at the same time, we would also like to obtain another (single and not rows) output parameter (which could be the number of rows retrieved for example). But, it just does not seem to work, wether we use "adCmdText" or "adStoredProc" type ADO commands.

Does anyone have any idea on how we could achieve this ?

Thanks for any input. Received on Tue Apr 02 2002 - 15:13:43 CST