Re: How can I create a new database ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 19:54:23 +0200

"Theo Klein" <theoklein77_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a89s7r$qcgfb$1_at_ID-124047.news.dfncis.de...

> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote
> > A tablespace and a database are not the same thing. If you were able to
> > logon and grant scott a privlidge they you already have a database. In
> > Oracle each instance is 1 database. Each database can have multiple
> schemas
> > which is what you want.
> > Jim
>
> No, sorry, I don't want schemas,I want a new database.
> I'm new to oracle and thought it could be that I could create a new
database
> if I have the right to create tablespace.But now I read it's only to
divide
> an existing database in logical areas.I really want to execute the "create
> database" command
> in SQL*Plus. Which rights need I to do it ?
> You wrote "If you were able to logon ... you already have a database".
> Yes, I want only to logon to the existing database to start SQL*Plus to
> create a new database. And I want to know it how to do it with command
> lines for the case that I can't use the "database configuration
assistent".

> 1)Is it possible to start SQL*Plus without an existing database only for
> creating a new database ?
> When it is possible what are the logon data ?
>
> 2)Which rights need I to use the CREATE DATABASE command ?
>
> Theo Klein

Apparently you want to create a new *instance* also, as *one* instance can only manage *one* database. An instance is a set of processes and a cache in memory which will manage your new database. You CAN'T create a NEW database in your CURRENT instance You need to create a NEW instance
Are you sure you really want this?
Are you aware a database in Oracle is definitely NOT the same as a database in sqlserver or sybase?
If you don't want to create a second instance and a second database, what makes you think you can't change the current database to match what you want?

If you want to proceed : You need to create an instance. Find the instructions of how to create a new instance in your getting started manual.

Regards Received on Mon Apr 01 2002 - 11:54:23 CST