Re: Newbie - SQL

From: damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 21:20:35 GMT

What you did wrong was try to take your knowledge, likely based on a Microsoft product, and assume you could blindly apply it to Oracle: You can not. The Microsoft syntax has been added with version 9i but is not present in 8i or before.

You will also likely find that you will make huge messes if you make assumptions based on how other products do things and apply them to Oracle. Oracle's transaction, locking, and multiversioning are completely different and greatly affect what you write, when you write it, and how things work. I strongly urge you to get a good book on Oracle and not rely on your previous experience except as a starting point.

Daniel Morgan