Re: ORA-01127

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 12:50:45 +0200

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:04:57 -0800, "William O'Neill" <wfoneill_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

>Received this message today when I tried to 'START' my Oracle 9i
>(Enterprise) db at home. Am using WIN2K. The error, as found in Oracle
>documentation, tells me that the DB name is too long, eg. TEST.NHEMS.DB;
>tells me further to shorten the name to 8 characters or less, but doesn't
>tell me where(what file) I should do this in. Anyone have any insights
>here?
>PS - am not a DBA, nor do I intend to become one. Only trying to
>familiarize myself with Oracle 9i. Thank you.

db_name is a parameter in init<SID>.ora
From your post in the .server group it appears your db_name init.ora parameter is incorrect, as you have appended the database domain to the database name. The db_name parameter should read 'test' (without quotes)
As the db_name is stored in the control file and Oracle is not going to buy a db_name parameter different from the db_name in the control file, you may run into further problems. You can resolve those by recreating the control file, further instructions in (can't help it) the Oracle Server Administrators manual.

PS the .misc group is intended to post questions regarding 3rd party apps, and this is definitely a server issue, and could have been addressed in the same post describing your sqlnet problems PS2 Whether or not you like it, in order to keep Oracle running, you *should* familiarize yourself with DBA activities, or get access to a database on a server, maintained by a DBA.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Mar 31 2002 - 04:50:45 CST