Re: SQL Plus - Previous Commands

From: Avi Abrami <aabrami_at_intersystemsww.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 07:36:55 +0200

Chris A wrote:

> I'm using SQLPlus (on the command line) under Linux.
>
> How can I execute previous commands without re-typing them. Usually under
> *nix, I can press the UP Arrow key to toggle previous statements.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Hi Chris,
If I understand you correctly, then you want to be able to recall any and all of your previously entered SQL statements from within an SQL*Plus seesion, correct?

As far as I know, it is only possible to recall the last entered SQL statement since SQL*Plus only has a single buffer that only holds the last entered SQL statement. I have seen this behaviour on Solaris, HP-UX and AIX.

There may be different behaviour on platforms other than these, I don't know.

The other responders have indicated to you how to recall the last entered SQL statement (from within SQL*Plus). What they failed to mention was:

  1. type "l" (the letter "ell") to display the last entered SQL statement
  2. type "edit" to start up the default editor to enable editing of the last entered SQL statement.

All of this is explained in the SQL*Plus Users Guide which is available from:

http://technet.oracle.com

Good Luck,
Avi. Received on Sat Mar 30 2002 - 23:36:55 CST