Re: ORA-12514

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:52:17 +0100

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:41:43 +0000, Fredrik Carlsson <fredrik.cREMOVE_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>i've just installed oracle 8.1.5 on solaris8 and have a few problems.
>when i connect on the machine i can use sqlplus but when i start sqlplus on
>my windows klient i just get the error:
>ORA-12514: Message 12514 not found; product=RDBMS80; facility=ORA
>

>mvh,
>Fredrik Carlsson

8.1.5 was desupported more than a year ago. I'm not sure why you are performing a fresh install of 8.1.5 instead of 8.1.7 Your problem is you didn't configure net8, you need to configure net8 on *both* the server and the client. The net8 configuration assistant will help you doing so.
Other than that it looks like you have missing environment variables. Please verify the environment variables you have against the list in the installation manual.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Mar 30 2002 - 06:52:17 CST